In 1786 Antoin Morass erected a sawmill at what would later become known as Bunce Creek.
Zephania W. Bunce
In 1817 Zephania W. Bunce sailed up the St. Clair River and settled at the mouth of Baby’s Creek. The area was, at that time virtually uninhabited and virgin pine forests stretched from the Pine River to the Strait of Mackinac. Bunce was a lumberman, owning a sawmill with his two sons, Mumford and Lefferts. Over the years Zephania would wear many hats. In addition to being a merchant, he served as postmaster for Desmond and became a member of the Michigan legislature, where he served for sixty-five years.
Meldrum & Park
Meldrum and Park erected a saw mill in 1792 at the location now known as Carleton Creek (located at the present day Marysville Golf Course).
Colonel Andrew Mack
A prominent Detroit man, Colonel Mack purchased the mill begun by Meldrum and Park and constructed a home at that location. A model of this house may still be seen on the lawn of Marysville Historical Museum in Marysville Park. The tombstone of Mack and his wife, Amelia, still remains standing on the north bank of Carleton Creek in the Riverview Golf Course.
C. Harold Wills
C. Harold Wills was chief engineer for Ford Motor Corporation from its inception in 1903. At the time of his resignation from Ford in 1919, Wills had designed every vehicle manufactured there. Wills moved to Marysville in 1919 at which time he built C. H. Wills & Company. In 1921 the first overhead-cam, V-8 Wills Ste. Claire automobile was produced. This was the first vehicle to have back-up lights. Next hydraulic brakes, balloon tires and a six-cylinder engine were added. C. H. Wills & Company closed in 1926 after making some 14,000 vehicles. The property, just south of Marysville Historical Museum was sold to Chrysler in 1935 and now houses its Mopar division. A historical marker stands where the old Wills Ste. Clair Company was located. Michigan Historical Marker, Registered Site L1100, Erected 1983
Edward P. Vickery
Mr. Vickery purchased land from Cummings Sanborn and erected a saw mill near the foot of the street now known as Huron Boulevard at the point where Mud Creek (in Marysville Park) flowed into the St. Clair River. He named the operation Vickery’s Landing and the settlement surrounding it eventually became known as Vicksburg. Vickery sold his mill in 1852 to Lewis Brockway and Horace E. Bunce. Marysville is named after Mr. Vickery’s daughter Mary.
Built a tavern, blacksmith shop and store at the corner of Bartlett Road (present day Huron Boulevard), and Gratiot Turnpike. This establishment was known as Hubbard’s Corners. Hubbard married Edward Vickery’s daughter Mary.
From 1853 – 1870 Williams built ships that played an important role in Marysville’s past. In 1854 he became part owner of the lumber mill that had previously been known as Vickery’s Landing, along with Nathan Reeves and Nelson Mills.
Welcome to Our Website
The City of Marysville continues to strive to be a great place to visit, a better place to live, AND ensure our website is a great resource of information. Have any questions or concerns? Please contact us and let us know how we can help.